Ballz is a 3d fighter which was known for its unique aesthetic designing characters out of orbs.
The game opens with the statement "To be the champion, you gotta have Ballz!".
Ballz features a one player arcade style mode and a two player versus mode.
Playable characters include:
- Boomer the circus clown.
- Bruiser the bodybuilder.
- Crusher the rhinoceros.
- Divine the ballerina.
- Kronk the caveman.
- Tsunami the sumo wrestler.
- Turbo the superhero.
- Yoko the monkey.
During the single player mode the player goes through 21 fights of increasing difficulty with bosses throughout. Defeating a boss earns the player a belt which changes their character's color.
Each boss defeated earns a different colored belt, and these change the fighter's coloring scheme.
- Guggler the ostrich who provides the red belt.
- Bounder the kangaroo who provides the green belt.
- T-Wrecks the dinosaur who provides the blue belt.
- Lamprey the genie who provides the black belt.
- The Jester who is the final boss.
Completing single player mode allows the player to play as any of the bosses.
A director's cut version of the game was released for the 3D0.